With a great plate presentation,
one sells the sizzle as well as the steak.
The most exciting plate presentations provoke interest and anticipation.
The food presented will then taste even better than expected. Remember that the main ingredient maintains center stage and everything else is meant to compliment.
- Pair contrasting-colored sauces creatively “painted” or drizzled on the plate (think yin/yang).
- Added ingredients such as minced garlic or onions; crumbled bacon or a coarse grain mustard will change the appearance and flavor of a sauce.
- Add hard cheeses to your cream sauces for a flavor boost.
- Try using a standard sauce on a different entrée. (think white sauce on meat, marsala sauce on beef)
- Fruits and vegetables as ingredients and as a garnish. Or try grapefruit zest in a light sauce.
Rubs and Marinades
Using a rub or marinade enhances the flavor of any center of the plate item and can make it more tender. Try these for extra zing and something different.
- Chipotle and lime
- Chili powder, ginger and garlic
- Ground coffee, sugar, garlic and chili powder
- Garlic and herbs
- Montreal steak seasoning
- Old bay
- Chinese Five spice
- Balsamic glaze
- Teriyaki glaze
- BBQ sauceOlive oil, lemon juice and garlic
- Cajun seasoning
- Blackening seasoning
- Rosemary citrus
- Cumin lime
- Cilantro, red wine vinegar, garlic and lime juice
- Whole grain mustard, olive oil and lemon juice
Vegetables and Side Dishes
- Add texture and color to rice, mashed potatoes, and noodles by mixing in seeds, herbs or finely chopped vegetables.
- Use cut vegetables in different shapes. Chopped, julienne, bias, diced, sliced, etc. all add dimension to a plate.
- Salad mixes add a bright, colorful, vegetable component to the plate. Add a little fruit for even more zest.
The Main Event
- Serve items such as steak and grilled chicken breast by slicing them and fanning them out on the plate.
- Add shape to foods. Meat, vegetables, starches; a little shape makes the plate become a work of art.
- Color adds richness to any dish. Use red or yellow peppers, red onion, green, leafy herbs ror any variety of colored sauce.
Accompaniments for the plate
- Grilled onions
- Grilled tomatoes
- Onion rings
- Olive tapenade
- Dried fruit compote
- Black bean salad
- Red pepper and artichoke relish
- Grilled vegetables
- Roasted vegetables
- Butternut squash hash
- Corn on the cob
- Blue cheese mashed potatoes
- Pasta salad
- Cole slaw
- Potato salad
- Sautéed spinach
- Asian noodles
- Potato pancakes
- Steamed vegetables
- Baked potato
- Baked sweet potato
- Hush puppies
- Vegetable puree
- Grilled zucchini
- Vegetable kabobs
- Stir fried vegetables
- Tomato and corn salad